The UK student visa process can seem a bit tricky and confusing. We have provided the necessary information to help you get your visa without any hassle.
Getting your student visa is the last step before you begin your studies at university. Many students fear that visa rejection could put them back on their study abroad trips. But if you know the process and prepare in advance then there is no need to panic. In this article, Alliance Capital has provided everything you need to know to be well prepared to get your visa.
What is a UK student visa?
All international students except Irish students need to obtain a visa to study in UK. A student visa is an official government permit that allows you to enter, live and study in UK. There are some other benefits and restrictions depending on the type of student visa.
Students from European Economic Area (EEA) countries and Switzerland were initially exempt from obtaining a visa, but from January 1, 2021, they will also need a visa to study in UK.
Types of UK Student Visa
If you are studying a short course and you are over 18 years old, you may be eligible for a short-term study visa in UK. It is valid for six months for most short courses and can be extended for up to 11 months for English language courses.
If you are studying a longer course, you must ensure that your chosen institution has a Tier 4 sponsoring license. You can apply for either a Tier 4 (Children) student visa (if you are aged 4-17 and wish to attend an independent school in the UK) or Tier for those aged 16 and over 4 (General) students can apply for the visa.
Eligibility Criteria for UK Student Visa
- Must be 16 years of age or older (students aged 16 or younger may require parental consent, or may apply for a child visa instead)
- Must have proof of acceptance by any UK institution under Confirmation of Acceptance to Study (CAS)
- Must show proof of financial ability to support themselves and pay for the course
- Must show proof of English language proficiency
Required documents to apply for a UK study visa
These are a set of documents that you need to submit while applying for your student visa. You will receive your visa only after your documents have been verified.
● A valid passport.
● Consent of a parent or legal guardian with proof of relationship if the student is under 18 years of age.
● University acceptance letter with CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance to Study) number. You will receive the CAS reference number from your university. You must start within six months of accepting your visa application as your CAS number will expire in 6 months. However, usually, 3 months is more than enough to get your visa.
A statement of proof for your fund. This is to check whether you will be able to take care of yourself financially during your education. It is important that you prove that you will be able to fund:
● First-year tuition fee.
● Cost of living for 9 months.
How to apply for a UK student visa?
Students who plan to study in the UK for more than three months will need a UK Tier 4 student visa in order to do so.
The process for applying as a student may vary depending on your nationality, personal background, and age. However, the general steps are summarized as follows:
Complete online submission
- Visit the UK immigration portal
- Complete the Visa Application form
- Book an appointment with the VFS visa application center
- Pay visa application fees
- Pay Immigration Health Surcharge
Visit the VFS visa application center
- Visit the VFS center as scheduled
- Submit all required documents
- Provide biometric information
- Attend an interview (not usually required)
Collect your passport
- Collect your passport when ready
- Passports should include vignettes for 30 days
- Additionally, you will receive a letter notifying you of your biometric data
Collect your Biometric Residence Permit
- Your Biometric Residence Permit will be available at a designated Post Office when you arrive in the UK
- Within 10 days of arrival in the UK, the item must be picked up
For more specific instructions on How to get a UK student visa, you can contact us at – +971043305786. Our counselors at Alliance Capital Immigration Services LLC will guide you through your application, and we will ensure that you receive your visa on time for your studies.